Monday, December 5, 2011

Is that light I see?

As I sit here now with my body aching and throbbing from head to toe, severely exhausted with zero energy, a foggy unclear head, and an extremely over reactive stomach. I reflect on this last year of poor health. It might be hard to believe but I can finally see the light at the other side of this horrible health roller coaster I have been riding on for almost a year now. 


What exactly have I been feeling like that has kept me from my life in 2011. Here it is:

Bloating, gas and/or abdominal pain  
Failure to thrive
Fatigue or general weakness
Flatulence
Fluid retention
Gastrointestinal symptoms
Headaches and migraines
Heartburn
Irritability or behavior changes  
Itchy skin rash         
Joint pain  
Keratosis Pilaris     
Muscle weakness
Nausea
No obvious physical symptoms (just fatigue, overall not feeling well)
Pallor (unhealthy pale appearance)
PMS
Vertigo
Voracious appetite
Weight gain

As I read my fitness journal from March 5th, 2011. I wrote, " I have been exhausted for the past 2 months and have not been able to put my mind to anything." Which has now turned into almost 12 months. People don't understand what is wrong with a person suffering like this because they can't see your symptoms. It gets to the point where you don't even talk about it and most people around you don't even know your not feeling well. Those that are close to you can see it because the time you spend with them is usually compromised by having to lie down or sharing time with the zombie form of what used to be their loved one. My supporting husband Brandon Steen can attest to this.

In May 2011, I asked my doctor for one final blood test to see if I had a gluten allergy. One of the other blood tests my doctor had me do was a condition that fed off gluten. I stopped consuming gluten and began to feel somewhat better. However, the test was negative and the $75.00 I had to pay for the test was gone. Seeing as I supposedly wasn't allergic to gluten I continued to consume various whole grains as part of my healthy diet.

Here I am months later with the same issues, trying to experience what little of life that I can. In my first meeting with my new Naturopath, Jen Newell ND http://newellnd.ca/ we discussed gluten allergies and celiac disease. A week later which is this Thursday I will be tested for celiac disease, begin a detox and be treated with accupuncture. I believe greatly in preventative medicine because treating the symptoms will begin to heal the whole body.

It should be noted I stopped mindfully eating gluten for 6 meals and I felt significantly better. However, to accurately test for celiac I must have gluten in my system. When I began eating gluten on Saturday night, I began to ache immediately, developed mucus, joints became sore, eyes got blurry, energy drained, exhaustion set in. I spent the next day and a half in bed. I had taken 2 days off work to try to gain enough energy to make it through the rest of the week teaching. The truth is I am so irritable from the constant discomfort I can't even begin to think of tolerating children and other adults around me. If I sat at a desk job it would be better but I am certain I would fall asleep.

I have accepted that no matter what my results to my test, I will not eat gluten probably for the rest of my life. This is a whole other blog which I am sure I will write about one day. Being Gluten Free can make it very difficult to socialize with people and eat out at restaurants, however it is a small price to pay to have my life back.

Some of you may wonder why I share this on Jane Trains. The answer is simple. If you don't have your health you don't have life. Most people don't understand what it is like to try to find enough energy and willpower to make it through a day of work, just to go home in utter exhaustion. Someone might say to me I should exercise and it will give you energy. The simple truth is I don't have the energy to exercise. I barely have the energy to stand up out of bed in the morning, walking like an 80 year old woman with my plantar faciitis and force myself to go to a job that requires my constant attention.

I write this to all those who want to exercise daily in the worst possible way. You know how great it makes you feel and look but simply don't have the health to do it. Make sure you take care of your health first, once you have your health then your can have your exercise too. I will share my results with you and my journey back to health in the next coming days all with the hope that I will be sharing training tips with you again soon.

I suppose in reflection "Be Strong" had a significantly different meaning for 2011 than what I had planned for it to mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment